Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Speed Queen and Rocket Girl

There are some people you just know are from the same egg. Brenda Dailey (aka Speed Queen) is one of those.  After having the time of our lives bonding during the Ragnar Relay, Speed Queen and Rocket Girl (me) have postponed a run long enough.... 

SQ was immediately assigned the role of my big sister-a role she happily accepts. A superball of energy herself, SQ is a non-stop postive source and I was having a blast running some incredibly technical trails at Gunpowder with her today.

We set out up a very steep hill and my first thought was, she's trying to kill me! True to a little sister's mentality, I thought, "I can do anything you can do" so RG pushed through and hung with SQ.  We danced and skipped up and down hills strewn with loose rocks and roots galore.  Like ninjas, we lightly bound across water, over holes, and over fallen trees.

One particular hill was incredibly treacherous. We flew down a steep hillside that was more like randomly placed steps made of roots.  SQ bound down in an effortless form, I followed suit and jumped and hopped down the hill at full speed.  When flying like that down a hillside with hairpin turns and ample roots, its impossible to slow up.  It is dire you must remain fleet-footed, and sharp-witted.

When we reached the bottom of what could have easily ended in death or disfigurement, SQ stops, raises her arms in victory and says, "Yay!  A girl who can trail-run with me!" and gives me a big hug.  Yup, she's my kind of girl-never misses a moment to revel in lifes glories. We're alive!!!
I love this girl and look forward to many more runs and other bonding experiences.  She is on fire and I intend to bask in its glow.  Together Speed Queen and Rocket Girl will conquer the world and chick the dudes who just can't hang--Book 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment